Who we are
Adopt-a-Pet’s vision for the future is one where every pet that enters a shelter leaves through the front door and into a loving home. This proclamation drives everything we do, and the people who work here have the satisfaction of knowing that they are using all of their talents to save the lives of animals and give their new owners the gift of unconditional love. Every month at Adopt-a-Pet, we connect over 250,000 homeless pets with 5 million potential new families!
The team at Adopt-a-Pet is a group of intellectually curious individuals united by a set of shared goals and values: make a positive impact in the world, operate with integrity, value our partners and support one another, collaborate, continuously learn, and have fun!
What it's like to work here
Are you looking to step away from the breakneck pace of startups and process-heavy tech giants? At Adopt-a-Pet, we work tirelessly on behalf of animals, but we do our very best to strike a healthy and sustainable work + life balance. We encourage our employees to do your best work, collaborate with your team, learn, and then turn off your computer and play with your dog. We'll all be better for it.
We’ve made a choice to be an entirely distributed team. Everyone at Adopt-a-Pet is free to live and work in the places they thrive, and we do just that! Leveraging tools like Slack and Zoom, we have been able to foster a highly collaborative culture based on trust, empathy, and autonomy.
Who are you
As a Backend Developer, you work collaboratively with developers and product team members to develop and deploy software products to market that are scalable, maintainable, and of the highest quality. You will also share knowledge with your team to ensure that we do not have information silos or single points of failure. As a member of this elite engineering team, you will actively contribute to our ever-evolving best practices and standards, which all team members are to follow. This role requires that you are self-motivated, team-oriented, and thrive in a remote environment.
When it comes to development, we value efficient solutions that solve problems we have over following the practices of multi-billion-dollar technology companies. We recognize that plugins and extensions can save time, but can also introduce constraints to a project that are difficult to support long-term. In short, we value the right tools for the right job.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Collaborate with developers, designers, marketers, and product managers to drive product experiences from concept to implementation while striving for the perfect balance in performance, quality, and efficiency.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Experience architecting and building large scale applications, products, and platforms.
- Experience creating RESTful APIs.
- Strength in mentoring and inspiring other team members.
- Passionate and strong work ethic.
- Staying up-to-date with new industry trends and emerging web technologies.
- Experience with test-driven development (TDD) using PHPUnit or other test frameworks.
At a minimum, you must meet the following qualifications:
- At least 3 or more years of full-time professional backend work experience developing web-based applications and APIs.
- Vast experience with writing clean, SOLID, object-oriented PHP with an eye towards simplicity, performance, and the need to change over time.
- Proficient with the Laravel framework and PostgreSQL.
- SQL query optimization.
- Proficient working in a Unix-based environment (Ubuntu, Debian, etc).
- Proficient using version control software (git).
- Proven debugging and troubleshooting skills.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- A team-focused attitude.
- Knowledge of agile methodologies.
- Familiar with common development principles (DRY, SOLID, etc).
- You would stand out if you have experience with:
- Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Nginx & PHP-FPM
- Competitive salary
- Fully-paid Medical, Dental, and Vision
- 401K plan with company matching
- Unlimited vacation days
- Mega-flexibility for work-life balance
- Fantastic team of highly-motivated, smart people to collaborate with
Adopt-a-Pet.com participates in E-Verify, a web-based system that allows an employer to determine an employee's eligibility to work in the US using information reported on an employee's Form I-9. The E-Verify system confirms eligibility with both the Social Security Administration (SSA) and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). For more information, please go to the USCIS E-Verify website.