Applerouth is a private educational services company composed of a passionate group of educators and professionals. Founded in 2001, we have created a supportive and dynamic learning environment that fosters growth and success for our students. Today, Applerouth is part of Stravos Education, a newly-formed, mission-driven company, representing a range of successful legacy brands in the education space. Our family of brands includes Summit Educational Group (mytutor.com), ESM Prep (esmprep.com), UES (ueseducation.com), and Launch Precollege Labs (precollegelaunch.com). Together, Applerouth and these brands provide a wide range of support to students across the world.
This is a unique opportunity to help shape the future of an already successful company. We developed our own online system to run every facet of our tutoring business, including: tutoring reports, sales/customer service, payroll, test grading, and much more.
As part of our engineering team, you would work with our sales, tutoring, and management teams to augment existing systems and design new ones to make each area of our business operate as efficiently as possible. Projects include both client-facing and employee-facing systems.
- Solid understanding of the best practices to build scalable, performant web applications
- Proficiency with relational databases such as MySQL
- Experience with AWS cloud services (S3, EC2, RDS)
- Familiarity with development tools such as Docker, Linux environment, git, etc.
Work Location: remote; you will have the flexibility to work from an office of your choosing.
Work Hours: In this full-time role you will be expected to work Monday through Friday, from 9:00 AM - 5:30 PM Eastern time. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required.
Applicants must be able to demonstrate their skills by completing a coding challenge.
BS in Computer Science/related field, certificate from software engineering/web development professional bootcamp, or equivalent work experience required.
Reporting Relationship: The position will report to Ryan Paulsen, VP of Software Engineering
Software Development (85%)
- Participate in regular meetings to identify business needs, and assist in identifying and implementing technical solutions to meet those needs.
- Provide full-stack development for new and existing features.
- Work with customers or departments on technical issues including software system design and maintenance.
- Document and demonstrate solutions by developing documentation & code comments.
- Provide recommendations surrounding data architecture, usability, design and QA.
- Anticipate and communicate blockers and delays before they require escalation.
- Contribute to the team’s coding standards and development practices to ensure a highly maintainable codebase.
- Refactor code as appropriate to manage technical debt.
Maintenance and Support (10%)
- Troubleshoot and debug application problems as they arise.
- Participate in regular check-in and All Hands meetings
- Stay abreast of industry trends and identify opportunities for growth
- Other tasks as the company may require
Compensation and Benefits
- Salary: $95,000-$115,000
- Benefits include:
- Company-sponsored medical, dental, vision, and life insurance
- Generous holidays and paid-time-off
- 401-k with company match after one year with the company
Diversity and Inclusion:
We believe that diversity and inclusion enrich education and drive success. We are committed to ensuring that all people who interact with Stravos--parents, students, staff, contractors, partners, vendors--are respected and valued holistically. We are committed to attracting and retaining students and staff from diverse cultures, backgrounds, and experiences because we believe that diversity fuels innovation and education to new heights.
The Legal Stuff:
Applicants will be considered for the position on the basis of their qualifications and ability to perform the job for which they are applying. Stravos does not discriminate based on the basis of race, color, genetics, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, or status as a special disabled or other veteran covered by the Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Act of 1974, as amended.