Car & Classic is looking for a Frontend Laravel/PHP developer, with a passion for Vue.js, to join our small team, work remotely, and help build the world's best classic car website.
Car & Classic is Europe’s largest classic car classifieds website with 2.5 million unique visitors per month.
The website has been around for over 15 years and is trusted and loved by many. We have an extraordinary team of car enthusiasts, designers, technologists, and operators and we’re looking for another expert who can help get the best cars in front of our audience.
Our vision is to build the largest and best marketplace for classic and specialist vehicles globally.
About the role
You'll be working within a small engineering team that is always looking to improve. You'll get to work on important features and given autonomy - and with a small team, your impact is integral to our continued success.
You'll focus on ensuring Car & Classic runs smoothly for all of its users. You will help design & deliver features for our customers within our Laravel codebase & (less and less) in our legacy home-grown PHP codebase which we're actively migrating to Laravel.
This role requires strong communication skills, alongside extensive PHP and VueJS knowledge. You'll be given the autonomy and space to focus on your work, without micro-managing and unnecessary status updates.
Our current tech stack
- PHP 7.4
- Laravel 8
What do you get (remuneration & benefits)?
- Salary range: £38, 000 - £52, 000 dependent on experience
- The ability to work where and when you want in order to get the job done
- All the equipment you need to get the job done
- A central London office and meeting space to use when you need it
- Access to free counselling, therapy and mental health support via Spill
- Access to free personal/professional coaching via a trained internal coach
- 25 days holiday, all bank holidays off and any period of closure over Christmas also paid.
- Learning and training - AWS Certification, Eloquent Performance Patterns, and more
- Ability to make your mark on a fast-growing start-up that is disrupting a huge (£34Bn annual) industry.
Our application process
After an initial video chat with our Engineering Director, all qualifying candidates will then be invited to complete a short paid development & review task, where you'll have the opportunity to see how we work and make sure you'll enjoy the job.
There will then be a video chat with potential colleagues to see if you'd enjoy working with us and to help see how you'd improve our culture. If all goes well you'll be offered a permanent position!
Every role is crucial to us at this stage of our growth. We are always improving and evolving our recruitment and application process, particularly trying to remove any bias which is an on-going issue in the recruitment function for companies of all sizes
To help achieve this we have refined our application form that you will find when you click 'Apply for this job'. The answers to the questions are the difference between your application being progressed or not so please do give them your time and effort when answering. The first thing our Talent Partner will review is these questions (we may not even need to review your CV depending on your answers).
Good luck with your application and thank you in advance for your interest in joining us at Car & Classic.
You should be a detail orientated developer who is comfortable with asynchronous communication. You should always be looking to improve and grow. You should be a self-starter able to manage your time and commitments.
You'll be able to help us with some of the frontend challenges we have right now:
- User Experience & User Interface Design
- Progressive Enhancement
- Understanding of Laravel Mix/Webpack
- Automated Vue testing
- Cross browser compatibility
Role and responsibilities
- Delivering high quality, tested, PHP & Vue.js code
- Documenting key architectural decisions
- Upskilling VueJS within the team
- Prioritizing long-term thinking to solutions over short-term bandaids
- Contributing in Sprint Retros & Planning
The skills, attributes and experience you must have:
- Passion for improving the codebase, team, and processes as we go
- Minimum of 2 years recent experience working with Laravel & PHP on complex high traffic websites
- Excellent Vue.js knowledge
- MySQL knowledge
- Excellent understanding of OOP concepts
- UI Design Experience
Skills, attributes and experience it would be nice for you to have:
- UX Experience
- DevOps experience
- Marketplace/Classifieds experience
- Asynchronous communication experience