Gousto is one of Europe’s best funded and fastest growing independents. Our business is recipe boxes and our opportunity is enormous - one billion meals are eaten in the UK every week! We’re just scratching the surface on our mission to help families enjoy good food.
Powering our business with cutting edge technology, we use data and tech to put customers first. Artificial intelligence drives everything we do, from the recipes customers see on our website, to how we put the boxes together. We’re proud of our industry-leading product and service, which helps our customer enjoy the good food, they want.
It’s an exciting time to join Gousto. We’ve secured £28 million more funding, launched even more product ranges and continue on our mission to help UK families serve up 400 million tasty and nutritious meals by 2025.
Join us on our hugely exciting and rewarding journey!
As a tech team we love using the latest technologies to solve complex problems. We’re heavily invested in AWS using many of its features. Our platform is fully automated using Ansible and we release code to production daily. We’re moving our platform to a microservice architecture and currently have services built in PHP and node.js as well as a number of AWS Lambda functions in Python. Our frontend has a mix of old PHP Laravel (which we’re removing) and React using cssnext and CSS modules. This year we’re aiming to move our services to use GraphQL and be fully migrated onto Kubernetes by the end of 2018.
We’ve grown rapidly since our founding in 2012, seeing a 185% increase in sales over the summer of 2017. Technology remains central to our ability to continue growing and to support this we have bold plans to double our team size during 2018.
We are a passionate, determined and cohesive engineering team dedicated to delivering high quality software and the best possible experience for our customers. Software and technology is at the heart of our business, central to our strategy and pivotal to future growth of the business. We are looking for people to come and help make this possible.
What are we looking for?
Gousto are looking for talented and passionate engineers to join our growing and highly bold team. We’re looking for people who:
- Love to code
- Spend time learning new technologies, experimenting with new frameworks, languages and design patterns
- Enjoy developing software in a fast paced startup environment
- Like to work collaboratively across product, design, test and business teams
What you’ll be doing day-to-day
As a Backend Software Engineer at Gousto you will:
- Work with our Product Managers, Head of Engineering and CTO to deliver high quality, enterprise-grade software solutions
- Develop new systems and features and maintain the existing code base
- Be responsible for code quality and implementing best practices
- Make suggestions and implement new technologies to improve our platforms
- Deep knowledge and experience of building PHP applications
- Experience in TDD and testing suites for PHP (PHPUnit, Codeception)
- Experience with git, github
- Experience with REST API development
- Knowledge of Continuous Integration tools (we use Codeship)
Bonus points if you have:
- Experience of Laravel
- Experience of working with AWS
- Experience of designing and developing microservices
- Experience of developing with Lumen
- Knowledge of performance optimisation techniques and Instruments tools
We are hugely committed to equality of opportunity in all areas of Gousto. We employ over 20 nationalities and think it's extremely important to have all genders represented in all functions and levels. All individuals will be treated in a fair and equal manner and in accordance with the law regardless of age, disability, gender, pregnancy and maternity, marital status, race, religion or sexual orientation.
- "tech 10%" - use every other Friday to sharpen your own skills and work on your own projects
- Holidays - Time off for you to enjoy yourself! 22 days of holiday (plus bank holidays) increasing by a day each year up to 25
- Holiday Purchase - Option to buy up to 5 additional days of annual leave
- Discounted Gousto boxes - 40% staff discount on Gousto boxes and 25% for your family and friends
- Company pension - 1% employer rising to 2% in April 2018
- Healthy Snacks - fruit and ice cream (ok, or not so healthy) provided every single day to keep you fresh
- End of Week Party - Wine, beer and soft-drinks provided every Friday evening
- Help us test the Product - As many new recipes to test cook as you can handle
- Gym Membership - Free membership of a local gym after 6 months
- Childcare vouchers
- Cycle to work scheme
- Regular all-company socials - last quarter we played darts at Flight Club and the previous quarter we enjoyed a summer party at Dinnerama
- Quarterly team socials - our most recent was Axe Throwing
- To find out more have a look at our tech blog