We are a passionate, determined and cohesive engineering team dedicated to delivering high quality software and the best possible experience for our customers. Software and technology is at the heart of our business, central to our strategy and pivotal to future growth of the business. We are looking for people to come and help make this possible.
What are we looking for?
Gousto are looking for talented and passionate engineers to join our growing and highly bold team. We’re looking for people who:
- Love to code
- Spend time learning new technologies, experimenting with new frameworks, languages and design patterns
- Enjoy developing software in a fast paced startup environment
- Like to work collaboratively across product, design, test and business teams
What you’ll be doing day-to-day
As a Backend Software Engineer at Gousto you will:
- Work with our Product Managers, Head of Engineering and CTO to deliver high quality, enterprise-grade software solutions
- Develop new systems and features and maintain the existing code base
- Be responsible for code quality and implementing best practices
- Make suggestions and implement new technologies to improve our platforms
- Deep knowledge and experience of building PHP applications
- Experience in TDD and testing suites for PHP (PHPUnit, Codeception)
- Experience with git, github
- Experience with REST API development
- Knowledge of Continuous Integration tools (we use Codeship)
Bonus points if you have:
- Experience of Laravel
- Experience of working with AWS
- Experience of designing and developing microservices
- Experience of developing with Lumen
- Knowledge of performance optimisation techniques and Instruments tools
We are hugely committed to equality of opportunity in all areas of Gousto. We employ over 20 nationalities and think it's deeply important to have all genders represented in all functions and levels. All individuals will be treated in a fair and equal manner and in accordance with the law regardless of age, disability, gender, pregnancy and maternity, marital status, race, religion or sexual orientation. We know, based on research, that some people are less likely to apply for this role. Please consider the above bullet points as guidance (our perfect candidate may not meet 100% of them) and if you feel you would be suitable for this role then please get in touch.
At Gousto we feel it’s massively important to hire adults and give them the freedom to get things done. We don't judge your performance by hours at your desk, but by the impact you have. While our office hours are 9am to 6pm, as long as people attend the morning stand-up for their squads the hours are flexible around this. Our only requirement is that you follow our ownership principles and Put Gousto First. Flexible working is widely practiced, but we are not a remote company and the majority of the time should be based in our Shepherd's Bush office.
- "Tech 10%" - use every other Friday to sharpen your own skills and work on your own projects
- Holidays - Time off for you to enjoy yourself! 22 days of holiday (plus bank holidays) increasing by a day each year up to 25
- Holiday Purchase - Option to buy up to 5 additional days of annual leave
- Discounted Gousto boxes - 40% staff discount on Gousto boxes and 25% for your family and friends
- Company pension - 2% employer contribution
- Healthy Snacks - fruit and ice cream (ok, or not so healthy) provided every single day to keep you fresh
- End of Week Party - Wine, beer and soft-drinks provided every Friday evening
- Help us test the Product - As many new recipes to test cook as you can handle
- Gym Membership - Free membership of a local gym after 6 months
- Childcare vouchers
- Cycle to work scheme
- Regular all-company socials - last quarter we played darts at Flight Club and the previous quarter we enjoyed a summer party at Dinnerama
- Quarterly team socials - our most recent two was Axe Throwing and Go-Karting
Technology, Data Science and AI are at the heart of Gousto. The code we write powers every aspect of our business from the recommendation engine powering our e-commerce experience right down to the genetic algorithms used to efficiently route boxes in our warehouse.
We use the latest technologies to create simple and elegant solutions to complex problems. We’re ‘all in’ on AWS using many of its services. Our platform and continuous delivery pipeline is fully automated using Cloudformation & Ansible, we release code to production multiple times a day and we’re in the process of moving our microservices architecture to containers. We build our services in Python, PHP and Node.js with a significant proportion now delivered via AWS Lambda.