As the market-leading information platform, for over fifty years GovExec has empowered the government ecosystem to engage and support government leaders as they work to achieve their missions across federal, defense, and state and local agencies. Reaching over 2.8 million government influencers each month, GovExec’s brand and platform portfolio includes Government Executive, Nextgov, Defense One, Route Fifty, The Atlas for Cities, City & State New York, City & State Pennsylvania, and GovTribe. GovExec staff are currently working remotely due to COVID-19. Permanent remote work can be accommodated in select states.
In this role, you will have experience working with Vue in concert with a back-end RESTful API server like Laravel. You will also have extensive experience with supporting technologies like MongoDB and Elasticsearch. A typical development sprint at GovExec involves reviewing feature requests and bug reports, consolidating each into detailed requirement definitions, writing code, and writing tests. You will work with other developers and project managers to help move this process forward.
We love building great software, and are constantly refining our process to make it better. The day to day in this role will involve:
- Working with the GovTribe Product Manager, Customer Success Managers (CSMs) and GovExec leadership to define and prioritize work for the upcoming sprint.
- Working directly with the Product Manager to convert feature requests into detailed requirement definitions.
- Deploying new releases of GovTribe, requirements are laid out into a month-long sprint.
- During the sprint, writing code in feature branches, iteratively push commits as you make progress, and review work with other team members.
- Creating test coverage that will run via our continuous integration system.
- Monitoring page load times, initial bundle sizes, and optimize your features for SEO, mobile performance, and accessibility.
- At the end of the sprint, reviewing your progress with other members of the team.
- Once code is in production, monitoring our bug tracking system to check for errors.
- Can travel domestically, at least quarterly (post COVID).
As a valued member of the software development team, we want you to constantly bring new ideas and technologies into the process. Would you like to use a new charting library? Push messaging platform? Event-loop based cat feeder? Bring it!
- 3+ years of full time, software development experience, that includes:
- 2+ years experience working on full stack web applications.
- 1+ year experience with Vue.js
- 1+ year experience with Laravel
- Working knowledge of MongoDB
- Working knowledge of Elasticsearch.
- Ability to communicate and form effective working relationships with non-technical product experts, such as business leaders or product managers.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related field, or relevant work experience.
Commitment to Shared Values
GovExec recruits talent for four salient attributes or qualities:
- Soul of Entrepreneurship
- Culture of Inclusion
- Force of Ideas
- Spirit of Generosity
Government Executive Media Group, Inc. and its affiliates ("GovExec") are Equal Opportunity Employers. We do not discriminate against our applicants because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other status protected by applicable law.