Who are Opensignal?
Opensignal, a mobile analytics company, is the global standard for measuring real-world mobile network experience. Using billions of measurements collected 24/7 from tens of millions of smartphones, we analyze real-world mobile network experience at the largest scale and frequency in the wireless industry. We believe measuring how the network performs directly through users’ eyes is key to building better wireless networks. Our insights are used across the industry by mobile operators, telecoms regulators, equipment manufacturers and analysts. We have done business across six continents and have driven press headlines in 80 countries, in an industry impacting the lives of billions around the world.
Founded in 2010, Opensignal is a high-growth global company harnessing the power of mobile technologies and big data analytics to redefine how the mobile industry measures network performance. We’re part of the Global Telecoms ‘Power 100’, TechCity Future Fifty, and backed by an impressive portfolio of investors.
Having doubled our employee base to 60 at the beginning of 2019, we plan to grow beyond 80 by the end of 2019, to help drive our vision further. We're headquartered in London, UK, where you’ll find most of our employees, who we like to call 'Opensignalers', but the teams you'll work with are global. A truly international team, our ‘Opensignalers’ work across four continents, and represent over 25 nationalities.
Find out more by visiting our website.
Purpose of the role
One way in which we share our analysis on real-world mobile network experience, is through visualisation dashboards that we produce for clients to understand the performance of their network across key metrics including video, download/upload speed, availability, coverage - and compare these with other mobile operators in similar areas. We brought this product to market last year but are continuously improving and developing our dashboards to ensure it is fit for purpose for our clients.
During your first few weeks, you will work closely with the team, analysing the current product and starting to develop small tasks so that you can familiarise yourself with projects on the current product roadmap.
Once up and running with how our products work, you will be working on new and exciting features that will add more value to our Visualisation dashboards and help our clients make informed decisions about improving their mobile networks.
The Visualisation team collaborate with the Product team on high-level product requirements, determining the feasibility of feature improvements, breaking functional stories down into specific tasks in Jira (our development tracking software), then agreeing a final specification with Product, Design and QA before development commences. We're a deeply Agile team, using a Scrum methodology and encouraging everyone to contribute during daily stand-ups. We use GitHub, GitFlow and Jenkins for automated building and deployment, with SonarQube used to assess code quality and test coverage. We will expect you to adapt to our working practices and hopefully add to these with feedback and ideas on how we can improve efficiencies and productivity within the team.
What we need from you
- The ability to write code that serves as a definitive example for new engineers to the team
- Experience using tools to diagnose and improve performance issues, and taking charge of low-level deep dives when debugging complex issues
- Comfortable managing the release process, suggesting and implementing improvements, as well as large scale refactors
- Ability to contribute to technical standards, best practices, and embedding impactful improvements
- Can research potential solutions and evaluate how they solve problems or issues raised, articulating the problem and proposed solution to both technical and non-technical peers
- Proactively seek out solutions for problems not owned by product teams, work with others to scope and identify solutions. Justifying efforts to PMs in order to schedule work. Able to articulate why a change in architecture is needed and the impact this will have on the team and business
- Dissect a problem into discrete tasks and collaborate with other team members to resolve issues.
- Good understanding of agile methodology, continuous integration, test-driven development
- Able to handle situations where domain knowledge does not exist in the company and can lead the effort to resolve this
- Good at progressing and delivering work without frequent supervision; promptly seeking feedback, ideas and support to ensure effective work Experience in leading incident resolutions
- You’ll be used to working closely with product teams and using your technical knowledge to collaborate cross-functionally on finalising user stories and sprints including pushing back as required to ensure these are realistic, accurate and deliverable within time and budget.
- You will already be comfortable working in an Agile environment including contributing to stand-ups and giving updates on your work. You’ll also have an opinion on Agile methods, something we’d expect you to be able to show us by explaining what works best about Agile in your current workplace and what you’d like to improve. Experience and desire to actively engage with process documentation and improvements
- Known to have a work ethic that is well regarded within your team and cross-functionally
- Motivation to proactively shares knowledge internally
- Transparent about mistakes you make, early
- Ability to proactively give timely actionable feedback to peers, and can consider the opinion of others in understanding the best path forward
- Can demonstrate resilience and composure in the face of challenges and rapid change; you’ll be comfortable handling ambiguity
- Experience or desire to support the hiring and onboarding of new members of the team
What will you get in return?
- Competitive salary and stock options to share our growth
- Matched-contribution based pension scheme, company-wide bonus, private healthcare (including wellbeing subscriptions and discounted gym membership), cycle to work scheme and MacBook of your choice
- Constant exposure to learning opportunities in your role and the ability to make an impact from day one
- Learning budget to spend on conferences, courses, materials and training, access to a learning platform and regular 'OpenSessions' (internal learning talks)
- Our 'Opensignalers' - an ambitious, focused and friendly team backed by some of Europe's top investors
- Ability to work flexibly as well as regular all-company events (from team lunches, to monthly HQ socials and bi-annual away days)
- HQ in Angel, central London, filled with fresh fruit, coffee and an abundance of snacks and drinks, set in an area buzzing with coffee shops, eateries, a local market and bars.