We're hiring experienced Backend Developers to multiple Fullstack development teams.
We seek out versatile engineers who can ship highly scalable web applications in multiple technology stacks. You'll be responsible for developing a data intensive, highly available web application running on a microservices architecture.
You'll work in a highly autonomous self-organizing development team that owns its roadmap, and chooses its own technologies. You’ll develop the product at a fast pace and in close cooperation with the end users—the largest online marketers globally.
Technologies we work with:
Each team makes decisions about their technologies while keeping in mind the operational and cross-team collaboration aspects. In practice, we work with a bunch of different tech, but each team only needs to know a subset of them.
We don’t expect anyone to know all of the technologies beforehand, but knowing some of them will help. Generally, we’re trying to get new team members to play with their strengths and choose their first team accordingly.
Here’s a list of the backend technologies we work with. Again, an individual team most likely works with one or two of these stacks:
- Node.js with TypeScript, Koa, Objection.js and PostgreSQL
- Ruby on Rails with PostgreSQL and Cassandra
- Kotlin (JVM), Akka HTTP, Akka Streams, PostgreSQL and ElasticSearch
- PHP, MongoDB
- Python, Flask, NumPy
On the frontend, the story is a bit simpler: we started with an AngularJS codebase, but we’ve been working on converting the most important views to React and Redux. We’re using Flow for type-checking when we’ve been adding types to existing codebases, and TypeScript when starting fresh projects.
What you'll need:
- 4+ years of experience as a professional software developer.
- Ability to write maintainable and testable code, while navigating both functional programming and object-oriented programming patterns.
- Knowledge on how the web works and are familiar with REST API design, HTTP fundamentals, web frontends and security practices.
- Care for how software is developed in teams and are always looking to improve.
- Drive to continuously learn new things by reading, building hobby projects or testing new technologies on the job. You should also enjoy teaching others around you.
- A pragmatic mindset. We’re working on an existing system, and our customers’ business depends on it.
Bonus points, if you have any of the following:
- Experience in SQL, building complex queries and procedures.
- Experience working with highly scalable distributed systems, consisting of multiple microservices, deployed to hundreds of nodes.
- Experience building large-scale data processing pipelines.
Benefits of working with us:
- Competitive salary + option plans.
- Recharge yourself with full 5 weeks of paid annual leave.
- Healthcare insurance/service.
- Paid parental leave.
- Wellness and personal development (books, conference tickets, etc.) reimbursement.
- Work with the nicest and brightest teammates in a self-organizing team.
- Opportunity to travel to meet customers, Facebook and Smartlies at our offices around the world via our Developer Rotation program.
- Enjoy weekly breakfasts and quarterly dinners with the team.
What to expect from our recruitment process
We're growing fast and hiring for a variety of profiles. We’re looking for T-shaped people, who have a good command of the basics, and be specialized in anything from databases to domain expertise, UX, agile process understanding, and so on. Our development teams have different needs, and we believe the best way to find a perfect match is through a conversation with you.
First meeting: before diving deeper into your tech skills, we want to know who you are and what motivates you. This is also an opportunity for you to learn more about Smartly.io.
Technical interview: we’ll discuss areas relevant to you ranging from frontend development to networks, security, and development methods. We’re trying to get a clear overview of your skills and where you could learn more.
Meet your future team to learn what they are working with. After that the final interview with our Chief Product Officer and your team lead.
Smartly.io is a fast-growing team of 250+ Humble Hungry Hunters. We are building a B2B SaaS product to fully automate and optimize online marketing at scale for the largest advertisers across the globe. We are a global company with 36 nationalities and footholds in 17 cities, serving 650+ brands across the globe, including eBay, Uber and TechStyle.
We’re building the best product company to work for, where highly autonomous engineering teams can take full ownership of creating a world-class software platform. As an engineer at Smartly.io you get to tackle challenges of considerable scale and complexity. We develop our product at a fast pace and in close cooperation with the largest online businesses globally, including Uber and eBay.
We build tools that help our customers work more effectively. Our product is at the core of how business is done today: it allows brands grow their business online, across platforms like Facebook, Pinterest and Google. We automate all repetitive manual work to help them grow their sales, not headcount.
Engineers at Smartly.io say they chose us thanks to the great work culture and smart colleagues. We only hire to elevate the team, not to delegate tasks, which means that everyone you work with is a true professional. We believe in self-organization, transparency and candid feedback—everyone can speak up and help make better decisions together. Learn more about how we work at smartly.io/culturehandbook.