Tuft & Needle was formed in 2012 when co-founders JT and Daehee left their jobs as software engineers. After a terrible experience trying to buy a mattress, the team set out to make a mattress and experience that people could love.
We view Tuft & Needle not as a mattress company that makes software, but as a software company that sells mattresses. We’re a small team of passionate full-stack developers. We frequently seek out advice from each other and believe in continuous learning. We’re incredibly focused on results and don’t expect specific, regular hours in the office (we have a pretty sweet office though). Although sometimes we pair program, we aren’t religious about it. We believe process should be extracted from things that are working well.
Our stack consists primarily of ES5/ES2016, React, Redux, Express, Middleman, HAML, Pug, SASS, Ruby, Rails, and Postgres and is deployed to Now and S3. Our codebase has excellent test coverage and we have CircleCI for continuous integration and believe strongly in continuous deployment. Test coverage is currently being rewritten in the form of end to end tests with Cypress.
What You'll Do
- Join our engineering team as a front-end developer for tuftandneedle.com as well as our internal CRM and administration systems
- Collaborate with the engineering team on developing new features to our public site as well as our internal applications
- Assist with marketing efforts to rapidly test and implement changes to the existing public content
Qualities We're Looking For
- Fluent in HTML and CSS and have experience with preprocessors like HAML, SASS, LESS, Pug, or Stylus
- Fluent in React and Redux or another mature front-end framework
- A love for learning
- Excellent communication skills
- The ability to see projects through to completion
Time & Benefits
- Full time, 40 hours per week
- Free mattress
- Health benefits for employee and dependents
- Paid Maternity/Paternity leave
- 401k with company match
- Generous vacation and sick leave policy
- Monthly company events
- Snacks and drinks stocked in the fridge if working from our Phoenix HQ
- Casual dress code, open office environment
Values of the Engineering Team
- End-to-end ownership: Each project gets an Engineering owner that is responsible for the success of the project.
- Launch early and iterate: Done is better than perfect. Although we maintain a minimum standard of quality, we believe in getting value out of features and enhancements as soon as possible, while rapidly iterating.
- Do things that don’t scale: We believe that our software should automate existing manual processes to save time, rather than preempt potential needs to avoid building unnecessary software. Our litmus test for deciding on new features is “Has the team done this manually first?”. Of course, we’re pragmatic even about this value.
- Pragmatism: In a growing startup, our philosophy is that it’s important to be pragmatic. We are rarely dogmatic and use Judo moves to efficiently solve problems.
Tuft & Needle was founded based on the idea that it was possible to create high quality products and charge a fair price to customers. Launched in 2012 by cofounders Daehee Park and JT Marino, Tuft & Needle was the first vertically integrated ecommerce mattress company to focus on selling one perfect product. With over 50,000 pieces of feedback, Tuft & Needle has made over 100 revisions to the product since its launch. The Tuft & Needle Mattress is the #1 rated product in the bedroom furniture category on Amazon.
We know you have a lot of choices when searching for your next career opportunity and greatly appreciate that you’d take the time to consider Tuft & Needle and get to know our team.