We are looking for a Senior Web Developer to join our [Informatics team] (https://www.sanger.ac.uk/science/groups/cellular-genetics-informatics). We are part of the Cellular Genetics programme which uses state of the art experimentation and computational tools to understand the biology of cells. Our team develops infrastructure for efficient data storage, access and analysis that supports the programme's research goals.
In this role you will develop and maintain infrastructure and visualization code for the Cellular Genetics programme’s needs. This will include creating user-friendly web portals for the researchers to access their data (both sequencing and imaging data), integrating automated execution of the analysis pipelines from the front end and visualisation of the results in the most convenient way. You will also be involved in working on the web interface for the Human Cell Atlas project, in collaboration with the European Bioinformatics Institute) and develop web interfaces for specific research projects. Your role will be very collaborative and include a lot of interaction with both research scientists and the software team.
You will have access to Sanger's elite computational resources, including an OpenStack private cloud, an LSF computational cluster and many petabytes of high-speed distributed file systems and object stores.
We support recent graduates or current students in their final year to apply, although it is strongly desirable that you have relevant development experience outside of coursework (e.g. active participation in open source projects or the pursuit of personal coding projects).
- Degree in Computer Science or in a related field (e.g. Mathematics, Physics, Bioinformatics)
- Experience in web development with a proven track record in this area (applications should include references to contributed projects and open source repositories)
- Familiarity with single page applications, HTTP semantics, REST APIs and RESTful services (E)
- TDD and continuous integration
- HTML5 and CSS3
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Motivation and attention to detail
- Ability to work as a team player and interact with others effectively
- Data visualisation libraries (Highcharts,D3)
- Good UX and UI design practices
- Previous experience with Scrum and agile processes
The Wellcome Sanger Institute is a charitably funded research centre and committed to training the next generation of genome scientists. Focused on understanding the role of genetics in health and disease and a world leader in the genomic revolution, our mission is to use genome sequences to advance understanding of human and pathogen biology in order to improve human health. We aim to provide results that can be translated into diagnostics, treatments or therapies that reduce global health burdens. Our science is large-scale and organised into Programmes, led by our Faculty who conceive and deliver our science, and supported by our Scientific Operations teams responsible for all data production pipelines at the Institute.
Our Campus: Set over 125 acres, the stunning and dynamic Wellcome Genome Campus is the biggest aggregate concentration of people in the world working on the common theme of Genomes and BioData. It brings together a diverse and exceptional scientific community, committed to delivering life-changing science with the reach, scale and imagination to pursue some of humanity’s greatest challenges.
Our Benefits: Our employees have access to a comprehensive range of benefits and facilities including:
- Group Defined Contribution Pension Scheme and Life Assurance
- Group Income Protection
- Private Health Insurance
- 25 days annual leave, increasing by one day a year to a maximum of 30
- Family friendly environment including options for flexible and part-time working, a childcare voucher scheme, Campus Nursery and Summer holiday club
- Two days paid Employee Volunteering Leave a year
- Employee Discount Scheme
- Campus Gym, tennis courts, cricket pitch and sports hall plus a range of dining facilities
- Active Campus Sports and Social Club
- Free Campus Bus Service
Genome Research Limited hold an Athena SWAN Bronze Award and will consider all individuals without discrimination and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees, where everyone can thrive.
Please include a covering letter and CV with your application. Closing date: 2nd January 2019